The year in books: January

Happy New Year!

My book for January is going to be Sucking Shrimp by Stephanie Theobald.  Chosen when I was at my mum's for Christmas, it's been in my possession for ages, and about time someone read it.


My book for December was Christmas Holiday by W. Somerset Maugham.  I sort of read it, but didn't enjoy very much of it all and now can barely remember anything other than a young man goes to France for a bit.



One of my guilty pleasures in life is to watch Geordie Shore - I was living in Durham when it first aired and it was interesting to see places I recognise on television.  It's not a complicated show - young people drink a lot, sleep with people, argue, and repeat.  Fun.  I just really like it.  So for Christmas Ben bought me Scotty T's autobiography, wittily titled A Shore Thing.  It's written as he would speak (and is not for the easily offended).  I thoroughly enjoyed it and read it in a matter of hours, but really, if you're not into the television programme, or don't at all care for reality tv, then this book is not for you!

One of the books in my Christmas-themed book bundle was A Redbird Christmas by Fannie Flagg and oh, I loved this book!  


Set in the early 20th century, Oswald needs to leave Chicago and head somewhere warmer or this Christmas may be his last.  He moves to Lost River in Alabama and has adventures with the locals.  Now, you do need to suspend your disbelief slightly whilst reading this novel, and try not to think about how unlikely it all is, but for me that was part of the charm.  This book was a delight to read, especially at Christmas time and the season of goodwill etc etc etc.

As ever, joining in with Laura.

Comments

Popular Posts