The year in books: March

Joining in with Laura, my book choice for March is The 158-Pound Marriage by John Irving.

I love John Irving books.  I first discovered him when I read A Prayer for Owen Meany which was recommended to me, and I loved the style of writing straight away.  In quick succession I read almost all the books he had published up to that point, with The Cider House Rules being my favourite.  I then felt I'd perhaps had enough for the time being, so it was only recently that I thought of this author and how he must have some new titles out by now.  Which he does, but I've chosen this book (published in 1986) as it is in my bookcase and I must try to read the books I own, rather than acquiring new ones!

February's book was The Sea, The Sea by Iris Murdoch.  When I had announced this, several people commented saying how much they enjoyed this book.  Now that I've read it, I'm really not sure if I liked it or not.

Firstly, let me say it's the only book I read in February.  I cannot remember the last time I only read one book.  Admittedly, it is a big book at just under 600 pages, and usually I read on trains, but in February I was knitting lots of socks so was doing that when travelling instead.  But still, just one book.

I have very little patience when it comes to books.  There are so many books I want to read, that I don't want to spend time reading a book I don't like.  It's always why I rarely read books twice - there are so many new ones to discover! (There's a really interesting article here by Lionel Schriver (author of We Need to Talk About Kevin) on how precious reading time is and why people shouldn't waste it.)  So normally, I give a book a few chapters or so, if I don't like it, on to the next one and I haven't lost much time.

So I am surprised this book took me so long.  I'd read a few pages, and enjoy it, then put it down but not read it for a few days.  I'd enjoy it when I read it, but not so much that I was desperate to carry on reading.  Which is odd, I've not had that before, normally it is a case of I love it or I hate it, no middle ground.

Without giving too much away, Charles Arrowby is a theatre personality, who has left London and bought a property by the sea.  Through a series of incredibly improbable coincidences, the reader finds out about his past, his friends, the woman he has loved (and the women who have loved him).  There were pages and pages where nothing happened...Ben would ask me how my book was, and I honestly couldn't tell him what I'd been reading about.  I liked the writing, I found it easy to read, but there didn't seem to be anything happening (other than descriptions of bizarre meals).  Then there would be another coincidence, and I found it hard to believe.  The characters were all rather annoying, too.  I have to admit I read the last 200 pages in about half an hour as I had had enough.  So overall, I am a bit confused.  I really like the writing, and I think I'd like to read more by Irish Murdoch, but I still don't know why I carried on reading this.  I've read a few reviews of the book this morning, and people do seem to be divided over it.

On to the next!

Comments

  1. Like you, I don't like wasting time on books I'mnot enjoying, so I will give it a go, a couple of chapters like you say, and if it hasn't 'grabbed' me, then back onto the pile it goes to be picked up another time. If it fails twice, off to the charity shop or to a friend it goes.... so many books, too little time as the saying goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are far too many books! I think even if there was a ban on publishing, and no more books were ever produced, there would still be far, far, too many that I want to read! But obviously I don't want there to be a ban on publishing, choice is good :-)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for pointing out the Lionel Shriver article - very interesting. Totally agree - no longer have any conscience about dumping a book I don't get on with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, if you don't like it, then move on! If I published a book, I'd want people to read my work because they wanted to, not because they felt they had to as they'd already started.

      Delete
  3. Interesting to hear your thoughts on The Sea, The Sea. I enjoyed it, but I do love Murdoch's writing, and I agree about the characters being trying at times,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do intend to read more of Murdoch's work in the future (there's definitely one on my bookshelf) but I think it may be a while before I attempt it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts