What I've been reading: June, July and August

I've read some absolutely brilliant books these last few months - here's a round up!

I've been following Laura Jane Williams on Instagram for a while now and I love her honesty and sense of humour, so I was delighted to get my hands on a copy of Our Stop*.  Romantic comedies aren't my usual preferred choice of book, but this one feels modern and hopeful.

The Casual Vacancy by J.K.Rowling was fab - whilst it is completely different from Harry Potter in terms of subject matter, it has brilliant characters who you as a reader care about, and that's what I loved about the Potter books.  I've been recommending this to everyone.





I loved the Maggic O'Farrell book I read earlier this year, and I felt the same about This Must Be The Place.  Reclusive film star, families, how an event many decades ago can impact people today - it's simply a great story, incredibly well told.



Heartburn by Nora Ephron is a story of a marriage ending - it's supposed to be quite funny, but it didn't work for me.  I like the actual story, but I think I'm missing something.



In The Penelopiad Margaret Atwood writes about Penelope and her twelve maids whilst husband Odysseus was away during the Trojan War.  My knowledge of Greek mythology isn't great, but I loved this telling of another side of the story.



I think I made a little noise of delight when I saw Disobedience by Naomi Alderman in the library - I discovered her earlier this year and was pleased to read something by her again.  Set in the Orthodox Jewish community in London, the story focuses on the daughter of a rabbi who returns to London when her father dies.  I learned a lot about Orthodox Jewish customs, and this is a great story. 



I find Kate Mosse's books hit or miss - I can't tell whether I'm going to love them or only like them.  The Taxidermist's Daughter is in the 'like' category and to be honest, I can't remember much about it.  It is set just down the road from me, though, in West Sussex, and it's always enjoyable to read about places you know quite well, even when set a century ago and slightly edited by the author's imagination!

Frankissstein by Jeanette Winterson* was a surprising hit for me - featuring robots, AI, science, and Shelley's Frankenstein.  A book that's hard to classify, but one that's worth the read.

The Other Half of Augusta Hope by Joanna Glen* was one of those books I wasn't sure what to expect from as the blurb was quite vague, and I'm pleasantly surprised with it.  There are two parallel stories and it's not clear how they're going to meet up, but this gradually reveals itself as the plot develops.  I didn't like this style at first, but persevered as I'd read the ending (I always do this - yes  it's weird, no I'm not going to stop it, I do it with everything I read/watch) and decided it was worth continuing - and I'm glad I did.  It also features my beloved Durham University!

I read The Children Act by Ian McEwan in one train journey - it was excellent.  Featuring difficult legal cases, where decisions have to be based on laws and not morals, it raises questions and not enough answers.  Very very good. 

I've wanted to read Unnatural Causes by Dr Richard Shepherd and found a copy in the kitchen at work where we have a book swap shelf.  I pounced!  Dr Shepherd is a forensic pathologist and this book takes the reader through some of the cases he's worked on (ones which are famous, and others less so) and explores what bodies and science are able to tell us (and what they are not).  Very interesting.

Browsing through the library catalogue I saw Seashaken Houses: A lighthouse history from Eddystone to Fastnet by Tom Nancollas as one of their new books, and I realised I know very little about lighthouses, so I reserved it.  It's incredibly well-written, by an author who clearly has a passion for the subject matter.  Whilst I can't say I am particularly any more interested in lighthouses than I was before, I do now have a greater respect for them and the people who built them, and it was a very easy book to read. It made a change to learn about something completely different, for once.

*Kindly sent to me by the publisher via NetGalley.  All thoughts and opinions are, of course, my own.

Comments

Popular Posts