What I've been reading: March, April and May

It appears three months have gone by!  They've featured quite a lot of change, and a lot of journeys, so I've managed to work my way through a good selection of books.

Several of the books I've read recently have been medical in focus (I'm surrounded at work by medical professionals and sometimes I just don't understand what they're talking about, and I want to learn more!) and one of those was The First Breath: How modern medicine saves the most fragile lives by Olivia Gordon*.  The author's son was born prematurely and as he's grown up she's become fascinated by the effect prematurity has had on him and others, and how medicine has developed in this area so relatively quickly.  It's a well-written book on a highly emotive area of medicine which raises a lot of ethical questions.  I followed this with Hard Pushed: A Midwife's Story by Leah Hazard*, and Critical: Science and stories from the brink of human life by Dr Matt Morgan*.  The former is an interesting account of what it's like to be a midwife today (definitely not a job I could do!), especially if you like reading personal stories and aren't squeamish.  Critical was an engrossing account of life as an intensive care consultant, as well as dipping into the history and science which have got medicine to the level it is today.  If you take nothing else away from it, you should at least learn how to do CPR - quite literally, it saves lives.

I remember quite a few people reading (and loving) The Bees by Laline Paull and I must have filed it away in my brain as I think I squealed a little bit when I saw it on the shelves of my local library.  I have very little knowledge of bees (and in all honesty, who doesn't?) but this book captivated me from the very beginning.  Flora is the central bee of the story and the plot follows her throughout the hive and all the work that's required to keep the colony alive.  It reminded me a lot of books set in the Tudor Court, but with bees rather than humans.


I find Ian McEwan's books to be a bit hit and miss - I've loved a few (Atonement, On Chesil Beach) but Nutshell is another one which didn't do it for me.  It's an interesting concept though, a nine month old foetus is the narrator trying to understand what's happening in the outside world.


Invisible Women by Caroline Criado Perez was a belated Christmas present from a friend who read a review and thought it would be perfect for me - and it really was!  It's such a good book, explaining how the gender gap impacts on all of our lives, from the lack of women in politics, to the lack of women involved in medical research, to how women and men can benefit when women are included.  Highly recommend.



I read a series of books by Ellen Hopkins last year, and was surprised by how much I enjoyed them.  Just as well that I bought another book by her from that charity shop as well!  Impulse is written in the same style (as a short poem on each page, so the book is fat but doesn't take long to read).  It focuses on three teenagers who are receiving in-patient care for their mental health.


Ben bought Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs for me a few years ago and I read it over Easter when we had those glorious days of sunshine.  It cleverly uses old photos to illustrate the peculiar nature of a group of children living in a community in Wales in the 1940s.  I enjoyed it, but it's super creepy.  Not sure if I'd ever want to watch the film!


I can't remember a thing about Dark Places by Gillian Flynn so I'm going to say I didn't enjoy it very much!  I also didn't enjoy N-W by Zadie Smith - I think I managed about 40 pages before stopping.  I loved White Teeth but I've now tried a few other books she's written and I've not enjoyed any of them.  Think she's not the author for me.


The Grass is Singing by Doris Lessing was short and powerful.  Mary is a young white woman leading an independent life in urban South Africa during the 1950s, who then marries a farmer and moves to the countryside which proves quite challenging.  It's uncomfortable reading in many places but captivating.


I loved, loved, loved Dear Mrs Bird by A.J. Pearce - it was just a thoroughly delightful book.  Vikki has already claimed my copy!  Emmy gets a job writing for a magazine during World War II, although it's not quite the job she envisaged, and finds herself replying to letters women readers send in to the problem page.  It's simply a lovely, well-written story.


My Cousin Rachel by Daphne Du Maurier was purchased from a charity shop ahead of a work trip, when I was stocking up on reading material for the airport.  I quite liked Rebecca and can't even remember the name of the other book I've read (I remember the cover was this series, though, I think Jamica Inn?  Not sure) so that hasn't stayed with me.  This, however, I liked a lot.  Philip's uncle goes travelling in Europe, marries, and sadly dies.  His widow, Rachel, comes to the UK to meet with Philip, who is distraught at his uncle's death and will inherit all his wealth when he turns 25 in just a few months.  What really happened in Europe, and how is Rachel involved in this?  It was intriguing, and a good read.  Char has recommended the film, so I may seek that out soon.



Murder Under the Christmas Tree is a collection of short stories by different authors, unsurprisingly involving crimes in the festive season.  Something for everyone in here, but felt odd to finish it in May!

Vikki was reading The Color of Bee Larkham's Murder by Sarah J. Harris* and loving it, and it prompted me to bump it up the TBR pile, and very grateful I am too as it was a great story.  Jasper has synaesthesia, meaning he sees sounds as colours and prosopagnosia, meaning he can't recognise faces.  He is sure that something has happened to his neighbour, Bee Larkham, and there are other people involved - but how can he convince adults that this has happened when no one seems to be listening to him?


I spotted The Believers by Zoe Heller in a charity shop and bought it because I'd loved Notes on a Scandal which I read a while ago.  I enjoyed this just as much - it's a captivating story following the aftermath of Joel's stroke and what happens to his wife and children, who are all going through major life events of their own.  I also learned quite a lot about Judaism - one of the characters is learning about Orthodox Judaism and I found myself Googling a few things so I could have a better understanding of what was happening.

The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris was as sad as I expected it to be, but I did enjoy it.  It's based on the life story of Lale, and how he and others tried to survive.  There's also a detailed epilogue, explaining what happened after Auschwitz and also how the book came to be written and published which I found interesting.

A varied selection, it's been great to spend time reading recently - reminds me how much I enjoy it.  I also think I'm doing quite well at being more diverse in my reading: here I have children's books, short stories, classics and contemporary.  Overall, it's been good!

*Sent to me by the publisher via NetGalley.  All thoughts and opinions are, of course, my own.


  • Drag to C*Provided by the publisher via NetGalley.  All thoughts and opinions are, of course, my own.
Im

Comments

Popular Posts