The Day Zero Project which I sort of forgot about

Way back in January 2015 I planned my Day Zero Project, 101 things to do in 1001 days, due to finish at the end of September 2017.  I managed three updates (1 and 2 and 3) and then I sort of didn't write any more about it.

In truth, I forgot about it.  I also think I was overly ambitious.  I mean, what was I thinking, having 'read all the books in the BBC Top 100' as just one thing to do?!

Here's the list:

Items in italics are (were) in progress.
Items that have been crossed out have been completed.
  1. Read all the books in the BBC Top 100.
  2. Reduce my collection of unread books down to one (small) bookcase.
  3. Finish A Song of Ice and Fire series of books.
  4. Crochet a sky blanket.  Done! You can see it here.
  5. Go to a large-scale yarn-based craft fair.
  6. Reduce yarn stash - use it or lose it
  7. Make one new thing from each craft book I own.
  8. Complete any jigsaws we haven't already done.
  9. Do something with all the postcards I've collected.
  10. Do something with some photos - don't just leave them on my laptop.
  11. Acquire something to go on top of the Christmas tree.
  12. Find my collection of Christmas biscuit cutters.
  13. Wallpaper something.
  14. Upcycle something.  Ideally storage.
  15. Bake (tasty) bread from scratch.
  16. Prepare a mango properly, don't just hack at it.
  17. Learn to quickly finely chop vegetables.
  18. Make a rainbow cake.
  19. Find my go-to chocolate cake recipe.
  20. Carve a pumpkin.
  21. Try oysters.
  22. Pick strawberries.
  23. Eat fish and chips on a beach.
  24. Learn to consistently cook rice properly.
  25. Use every single item of cooking equipment I own (not necessarily all at the same time!).
  26. Make macarons.
  27. Learn to cook five fish dishes (not shellfish).
  28. Cook a new dish from every recipe book I own.
  29. Bake something new from every dessert/cake book I own.
  30. Bake a gluten-free cake which actually tastes good.
  31. Ice a cake using proper icing.
  32. Make sushi.
  33. Make a flavoured alcoholic drink.  Done!
  34. Make elderflower cordial.
  35. Branch out from own-brand tonic water.  
  36. Get a job.
  37. Develop in said job - more responsibility, promotion etc. (I've got a new job - does that count?)
  38. Get a paper based on my PhD thesis published (not quite, but I have had five others published - so I'm counting this!).
  39. Have said paper referenced by another paper.
  40. Earn another Girlguiding licence or qualification.
  41. Attend a large-scale residential event for Brownies.
  42. Attend a large-scale residential event for Guides.
  43. Go on my first Rainbow sleepover.
  44. Attend a leaders-only Girlguiding event.
  45. Seriously plan a visit to Our Chalet.
  46. Earn my 100 nights away badge.
  47. Get camp blanket up to date.
  48. Visit a maize maze.
  49. Visit a new country.
  50. Go on a weekend away with Mum.
  51. See a West End show with Mum.
  52. Explore the south of England.  I live here, yet don't really know it.
  53. Day trip to Brighton with Ben.
  54. London sightseeing with Ben.
  55. Afternoon tea at The Orchard Tea Rooms in Grantchester, in the summer.
  56. Afternoon tea at a posh hotel in London.
  57. Visit Hadrian's Wall.
  58. Visit The Eden Project.
  59. See the Giant's Causeway.
  60. Visit Bristol and surrounding area.
  61. Visit the Isle of Wight.
  62. Visit York.
  63. Walk a llama or alpaca.
  64. Visit the Llama Karma Kafe.
  65. See another Shakespeare play at The Globe.
  66. Eat at a Michelin-starred restaurant.
  67. Donate my 25th unit of blood. 27!
  68. Grow a plant from a seed and actually keep it alive.
  69. Have a go at clay pigeon shooting.
  70. Milk a cow.
  71. Blow some glass.
  72. Seriously think about buying a house.
  73. Acquire two kittens (this depends entirely on acquiring own house first!).
  74. Declutter, and stay decluttered.
  75. Learn how to play poker.
  76. Learn how to use a sewing machine.
  77. Sew something.  Anything.
  78. Regular clean-up of emails, junk mail, Twitter, Bloglovin' etc.
  79. Develop the Post Pals Twitter account - aim for 2,500 followers.
  80. Build a snowman.  Out of real snow.
  81. Send at least five more parcels to Knit-A-Square (1 posted 16/02/15, 2 posted in November '15)
  82. Get a cat to sit in a circle.
  83. Learn to juggle.
  84. Host a dinner party.
  85. Take part in a murder mystery game.
  86. Scuba dive again.  Ideally somewhere warm.
  87. Swim in the sea.
  88. Ride in a hot air balloon.
  89. See sunrise and sunset on the same day.
  90. Meet more of Ben's friends.
  91. Meet my friends' babies.
  92. Meet some real owls.  Hold one.
  93. Turn my Guatemalan coffee sack into a coffee table.
  94. Start a new address book.
  95. Have something made just for me.
  96. Attend (at least one) belly dance class(es) again.
  97. Get back into BookCrossing.
  98. Reach a total of 50 sent postcards on PostCrossing.
  99. Spend New Year's Eve somewhere new to me.
  100. Make or buy a cake stand.
  101. Vote in all elections and have a better understanding of who I'm voting for.
Even though this hasn't been terribly successful in terms of ticking things off, I have done an awful lot in this 1001 day period.  I also do quite like a list, so I've decided to do this again.  Many of the things are the same, as they are important (voting, donating blood, improving my cooking skills) and I still want to do them, but I am also being more realistic.  Maybe.  We'll see!  

So here's the new list, 101 in 1001 which is 26th August 2020:
  1. Keep reading.  Make time for reading.
  2. Make a dent in my collection of fiction books.
  3. Make a dent in my collection of non-fiction books.
  4. Make a dent in the books on my Kindle.
  5. Reduce yarn stash - use it or lose it.
  6. Actually use the craft books I have.  If I don't want to make anything, pass it on.
  7. Play some board games.
  8. Do something with all the postcards I've collected.  Or at least a few of them.
  9. Do something with some photos - don't just leave them on my phone/laptop.
  10. Acquire something to go on top of the Christmas tree.
  11. Find all the Christmas decorations.
  12. Wallpaper something.
  13. Upcycle something.  Ideally storage.
  14. Bake (tasty) bread from scratch.
  15. Prepare a mango properly, don't just hack at it.
  16. Learn to quickly finely chop vegetables.
  17. Make a vegan cake which I like.
  18. Find my go-to chocolate cake recipe.
  19. Carve a pumpkin.
  20. Try oysters.
  21. Pick strawberries.
  22. Eat fish and chips on a beach.
  23. Learn to consistently cook rice properly.
  24. Use every single item of cooking equipment I own (not necessarily all at the same time!).
  25. Make macarons.
  26. Learn to cook one or two more fish recipes.
  27. Actually use the recipe books I own.  
  28. Bake something new from the baking books I own.
  29. Bake a gluten-free cake which actually tastes good.
  30. Ice a cake using proper icing.
  31. Make sushi.
  32. Make more batches of raspberry vodka.
  33. Make elderflower cordial.
  34. Try something new to eat.
  35. Try something new to drink.
  36. Develop in my job - more responsibility, promotion etc.
  37. Have more papers published.
  38. Have one of my papers referenced by another paper.
  39. Organise a large-scale Guiding event.
  40. Organise or attend a Brownie holiday.
  41. Attend a leaders-only Girlguiding event.
  42. Put my Travelling Abroad module to good use.
  43. Something else in Girlguiding - there are always opportunities!
  44. Seriously plan a visit to Our Chalet.
  45. Keep earning those nights away badges.
  46. Get camp blanket up to date.
  47. Visit a maize maze.
  48. Visit a new country.
  49. Go on a weekend away with Mum.
  50. See a West End show with Mum.
  51. Explore the south of England.  I live here, yet don't really know it.
  52. Day trip to Brighton with Ben.
  53. London sightseeing with Ben.
  54. Afternoon tea at The Orchard Tea Rooms in Grantchester, in the summer.
  55. Afternoon tea at a posh hotel in London.
  56. Visit Hadrian's Wall.
  57. Visit The Eden Project.
  58. See the Giant's Causeway.
  59. Visit Bristol and surrounding area.
  60. Visit another yarn fair/festival.
  61. Go for a long walk/hike somewhere.
  62. Walk a llama or alpaca.
  63. See a play.  
  64. See another Shakespeare play at The Globe.
  65. Eat at a Michelin-starred restaurant.
  66. Donate blood as often as I can.
  67. Grow a plant from a seed and actually keep it alive.
  68. Have a go at clay pigeon shooting.
  69. Milk a cow.
  70. Blow some glass.
  71. Seriously think about buying a house.
  72. Acquire two kittens (this depends entirely on acquiring own house first!).
  73. Declutter, and stay decluttered.
  74. Learn how to play poker.
  75. Learn how to use a sewing machine.
  76. Sew something.  Anything.
  77. Regular clean-up of emails, junk mail, Twitter, Bloglovin' etc.
  78. Develop the Post Pals Twitter account - aim for 2,500 followers.
  79. Build a snowman.  Out of real snow.
  80. Knit/crochet for charity - Sands blankets
  81. Get a cat to sit in a circle.
  82. Learn to juggle.
  83. Host a dinner party.
  84. Take part in a murder mystery game.
  85. Scuba dive again.  Ideally somewhere warm.
  86. Swim in the sea.
  87. Ride in a hot air balloon.
  88. See sunrise and sunset on the same day.
  89. Meet more of Ben's friends.
  90. Meet my friends' babies.
  91. Meet some real owls.  Hold one.
  92. Turn my Guatemalan coffee sack into a coffee table.
  93. Get more things framed and hung up.
  94. Have something made just for me.
  95. Attend (at least one) belly dance class(es) again.
  96. Get back into BookCrossing.
  97. Keep writing to my pen friends.
  98. Spend New Year's Eve somewhere new to me.
  99. Make or buy a cake stand.
  100. Vote in all elections and have a better understanding of who I'm voting for.
  101. Write blog update posts.
So, here I go!

Comments

  1. Good luck with the new list! Hoping this comes across as friendly not scary - if you ever fancy visiting Whitstable, we have lots of oyster stalls and you could eat fish and chips on the beach. And it counts towards exploring the south of England. Do shout if you're heading this way! We met at a county Guide camp in 2010 so I'm not a complete stranger off the internet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! That sounds a lovely invitation! Which county camp was it, Cambs East? I went on several in the centenary year and I'm just trying to place you!

      Delete
    2. Yep Cambs East, Look 2010! I was on your subcamp (the one where the dining shelter blew away) but didn't have a unit, I was leading the service team. I looked like this... https://photos.app.goo.gl/ozJJ7ClQyQ2NJILj1

      Delete
    3. YES! I definitely remember tents and shelters blowing away, it was rather blustery!

      Delete
  2. I started a list this year, I think I'm doing OK but I do forget about it for large chunks of time. We have some of the same goals, I like your idea to consistently cook rice properly - mine never comes out the same as the time before, or as lovely and fluffy as I'd like it to be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We usually cheat and use microwave rice - but I'm not happy about this cheating and surely rice can't be that hard to cook?! Glad to hear I'm not the only one, though!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts